Friday, April 13, 2012

Multiplication Madness!

I am loving Anchor Charts lately. It is not something other teachers at my school are doing, but because of the wonderful site Pinterest and all the great blogs I have read, I am a fan!

When I was nearing the multiplication unit for my fourth graders I had started (as always) looking for new lesson ideas. As we got into the unit I had a couple students who kept missing steps. Every single time they would miss one or two steps and of course, get the entire thing wrong. It was so frustrating as a teacher because they had their facts right, it was the process. Sometimes it was simply not putting the place holder.

Once I realized this pattern I searched and googled and searched and googled for a good tool or Anchor Chart and could not find ANY! So I made my own! The kids really loved it and we posted it up for them to reference.


When trying to figure out the easiest way to do this I decided to use color coding. The brown numbers are the numbers already used in the step before. The red is the answer on the current step. For example on number 5 I circled 8 and 9 in red to show that was the current step, then wrote the answer, 78 in red. I used blue to highlight or spell out what the step was. For example, on number 1 I drew an arrow from the 4 and wrote "carry me" to remind students to carry (that is a HUGE problem for some). I also wrote out 7x7=49 to show, again, that was the only math problem they were working on in the first step.

When I introduced it I showed it to the class like this:
I went through each step with them and as we got to a new one I would pull off the large sticky. I really wanted them to focus on each step by itself. After we went through each step I had them work out the problem in their spirals.

The student's that were having problems absolutely LOVED this and actually thanked me! I have noticed students referencing it from time to time and I have to say that their multi-step multiplication improved greatly!

Do you have any good tips? Visuals are the BEST but sometimes hard to think of, especially with multi-step math!

1 comment:

  1. excellent! my very visual daughter needs this! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete